Thursday, May 13, 2010

Okay, as my kids would say, FAIL.

Yes, yesterday was a FAIL as far as my choices. And I was going to be so wise, right? The kids chose Mexican. Are there any wise, good choices at a Mexican restaurant?!

First, we start with the chips and salsa. Salsa's not bad, but the chips. And, of course, they are "bottomless" so that you think the restaurant is doing you a favor!

Then we over-ordered. This seems to be the norm for some of my kids which they probably learned from their mother. In getting older, I have learned to share, so share I did. After many chips loaded with salsa. :)

I walked away feeling stuff, which I hate. I want to stop at "satisfied." That is a much different feeling. I also didn't fuel my body. There was nothing good that I put in my mouth that would help me have the strength for the night at youth group and the weekend of graduation, much less fight off this fluid behind my ears.

I need to rethink food. I need a new vision for why God created food the way He did. It is fuel. It is not to be worshipped. It is to be used for fueling our bodies. For so long, I have bowed down to the idol of food, it is hard to know how to break the habit.

But I want to learn. Over the past two years, we have made small changes as a family. At the grocery store, I don't buy cokes or chips, unless it is a special occasion or we are having something that "requires" chips (like for cheese dip). We are eating fish once or twice a week and less red meat. We are eating more veggies like asparagus, spinach for our salads (it's all I like) and raw carrots are always in the drawer for snacking. I usually have them scrubbed, peeled, cut up and bagged for easy access. I don't buy chocolate nearly as often and when I do buy chocolate for me, it is dark chocolate because I know that I will be totally satisfied with one small square. I don't crave more and more of dark. We also have begun exercising more as a family. P90X is being done by me and three of my kids. We aren't doing it daily yet, but hopefully this summer we will be on a good routine with it. If I am going down to the mailbox and back (2 miles), the two little kids are riding their bikes along with me and not just because it puts off school! :)

Now I just need to move to the next level in my small changes. I'm buying the fruit and eating some of it, but now I need to try to get MORE fruits and veggies in on a regular basis. I need to CHOOSE fruit or raw veggies for snack MORE often. I want to drink more green tea on a daily basis. I can start with one cup a day. Right now, I am drinking maybe 1-2 cups a week.

Now that school is almost over, I want to move my exercise to second thing in the morning. I have my time in the Word first, then get out and move. I would love to put on my workout clothes first thing to motivate me. No more working around school! It is just scheduled in.

It's time to be more consistent in the small changes we have tried to make as a family and move on to new ones. It's time to make wise choices in such a way and for such a time that they become habits.

My first wise choice today: I am taking the kids to Krispy Kreme this morning for celebration (my youngest's suggestion). I am going to eat my oatmeal before I go and drink my coffee, hoping I am so full that I can resist. I am going to ask my daughters to help me NOT eat a donut there. They are 200 calories a piece and pure sugar. I always feel horrible after eating one. I need energy for this marathon weekend! Not to feel sluggish. I am going to write something motivational on a card and carry it in there with me! I want this success today so badly! I want to stand firm and say "NO" and stick with it! I will plan on a skinny latte (if they have one), but NO DONUTS!

I'll let you know how I do. Sure hope it is not like the Mexican restaurant..........

No comments:

Post a Comment