Sunday, November 1, 2009

Jogging.........Learning to Run

Today I have been trying to jog/run for about 10 days now consistently. I have tried several times before, but this is the first time I have done it almost everyday and want to keep up with it. Each day I find myself DESIRING to get my exercise gear on and step outside. I know that once I step outside, I will be fine. My desire and "get up and go" will do just that........get up and go.

When I first started, I decided to stay on black top because our road is so bad from all of the rain we have had over the spring, summer and fall. There are very deep ruts in the road and I don't want to sprain an ankle.

So I started out walking down my driveway, running down the small slope before getting to the small hill that crests right before the Arnold's. I didn't run up anything at first. Slowly, I began to try running until I couldn't run anymore, then walk for a few minutes to catch my breath, then run again. When I started running up the hills (small slopes), I would count my steps to get me further along......1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 1, 2, 3,..........For some reason, it helped me. I didn't make it far the first few tries, but today I could see progress. Well, bigger progress.

I have seen progress over the past week. I could run a little bit further and for a little longer on the flat spaces. One day, I even ran further up the small slopes. That really encouraged me.

Today I was able to run from my driveway, all the way up the hill to the split in the pavement in front of the Arnolds. That was a first! I was so excited! I think I could have gone further, but Rene' was with me and had stopped to walk. And I was so excited that I made it all the way up the small hill, I had to stop and tell Nay that that was a first for me!

So Rene' and I (after eating very badly for 2 days) went out today to walk/run. We walked the first time around at a fast pace, probably 4 mph, swinging our arms, etc. Then the second time around we began to run some. She said that I didn't need to wait on her and so when I ran, she ran with me. She was awesome! What took me 10 days to do, she did today with me. She only fell behind me twice. The second time around we ran down the hills, on the flat surfaces and a little bit uphill. The third time around, we ran most of the way. I was so excited! It was the best I have done yet! It DOES help to have a partner! I wish she lived closer, but we are going to do it this week. We have to.

On Thursday of this past week, I noticed that I was fine breathing while running, but once I stopped to walk, it was hard for me to breath. I was panting hard. That frustrated me. Not sure if that is normal or not, but I am doing a bit of research online. I have several running friends, but I have not told anyone yet that I am running. I have a history of being a good starter, but not a good finisher, so I don't want to say anything. I just want to prove that I can do it. I also don't sweat until I come inside and sit down. Weird.

I will tell you this, this is the first time in a long time that I feel horrible when I don't get out there and run. I want to. I desire it. I really long to get out there. There is something about it. I can't say that I enjoy it, but yet I don't ever want to give it up. Doesn't make sense, I know, but I am glad for the desire.

I have had no pain at all. I am running slowly and carefully, but I don't want to ruin it early on. I want to learn to run better, faster, longer. I know it will be slow for me, but I pray it is something I stick with.

I do believe that running has helped me lose 9.6 pounds in the past 3 weeks. Even when I would not track all of my points, I could still lose when I was running. I also feel so wonderful AFTER I run. There was one day I wanted to run twice in that one day. Again, weird. I am not a person who has ever enjoyed running. What is happening to me?!

I don't know, but I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment