Friday, February 11, 2011

Seeking Health. The title of this blog. We are truly seeking a lifestyle of health, but right now I am seeking general health.

I got a cold about 8 days ago. It doesn't seem to have gone into an infection yet. I have no fever, no symptoms other than post nasal drip that has responded to taking OTC medicine. However, I cannot get rid of this cough.

Sleeping sitting up for the past few nights has not been fun, but last night was the worst yet. Around 1:30am, I went to the green chair so that Wade could get some sleep. I was so hopeful about last night, too.

I had tried some new ideas that I had read/heard about that I thought would work. I put Vicks on my feet, slipped on socks and headed to bed hopeful that this was the ticket because I had read about this so often. Well, it worked for about 3 hours. So I reapplied at 1:30am, but it didn't help. I even rubbed some on my chest for good measure because that is what my mom always did when I was young.

I have a Vicks vapor humidifier by my bed as well which I have used every single night.

Hot tea is streaming through my veins right now because I had had so much in the past few days. Don't get me wrong. I love hot tea, but I have run our supply down because it seemed to help my throat. Well, not last night.

Chicken noodle soup. I made some chicken noodle soup and have eaten it religiously. I am blowing, blowing, blowing my nose.

I have had elderberry syrup before bed. Maybe I should have taken another dose of that. I am taking my vitamins, especially C. I am eating fruit, fruit, fruit.....including blueberries, clementines, apples, pears and pineapple. I am limiting bad foods which really isn't too hard because I am not hungry. My taste buds are numb.

I have even made my family laugh as I use my saline wash to clear out my sinuses. They think that is both horrible and funny. I find it kind of nice. It seems to work, but it is not helping my cough.

The only thing I haven't is a shot of whisky which seniors in my life tell me they have used for a long time and that it works miracles. I guess that yucky stuff would kill any bacteria in the back of my throat. I don't have any in the house and don't think I am going to buy any.........

So today, I am calling the doctor. Yes, I am giving in. I just hope they can see me. After snow closing the roads for several days this week, I know I would be a work in. I am just praying they can work me in or have had a cancellation.

And I realize that all of the healthy eating that I have been doing to try to get well is best when done as a preventative probably.

Another reason to seek a lifestyle of good health habits.

And, yes, it is true. I haven't weighed in two weeks. That is never good. Last week, I had a medical procedure and this week we had 6-7 inches of snow and couldn't get off the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment