Friday, February 18, 2011

Today was yoga day. I did a 45 minute DVD, but I am looking for something more "Christian." I am going to hunt on the internet this afternoon for something less new age. It was relaxing and I found myself praying during the relaxation part, but still. I don't need to open my mind. I need to speak truth to my mind!

Wade and I embraced a chiropractic plan for us yesterday. I was shocked by my x-rays in several ways. We both need some work. Me more than Mr. We will begin to see Dr. Bishop on a regular basis at first during the corrective stage, but less often in the maintenance phase. It will be a while for me to get to the maintenance phase.

However, I want to do all that I can to help my body move faster through the corrective stage. There is so much information to digest and go through. So many things to slowly implement into our lives to change the way we live to move from unhealthy to healthy.

I told Wade yesterday that I have to rehearse the things we are doing well. After 45 years of treating my body very poorly, I have made progress. For some of you out there, these will be minor changes, but for me, a junk-food junky, it is total progress. Forward progress. And I have to keep telling myself what good things are already happening. Otherwise I will be overwhelmed with how far away I am from where I want to be.

Some of the good changes we have made are:

1. Our whole family is exercising on a regular basis.

2. We are not buying cokes and only buying chips on special occasions.

3. Water, water, water. I have always been a water drinker, but we are drinking more of it. That is about all that we drink now both in the house and when we go out.

4. Wade and I are seeing Dr. Bishop on a regular basis.

5. We are getting plenty of sleep even when it means we must go to bed around 9pm. We often beat our kids in bed, but we are both up at 5am.

6. When eating out, we are selecting places where we can have healthier options. There has been almost no fast food for me in a long while.

7. When eating out, we are selecting items that fuel our bodies for good health. Last night, Mr. and I went out and I had salmon with a lemon/garlic/tomato sauce with steamed broccoli. Now I also had the Bang-Bang shrimp, so it wasn't all healthy, but in the past I would have eaten the Bang-Bang as well as a heavy meal.

8. Sometimes we share meals when we go out. Mr. and I often share items and the girls share, too.

9. I am shopping more at Whole Foods or in the organic section of Kroger.

10. Mr. is eating "in" his office every single day! That is huge! He has eaten out for lunch the entire time we have been married. He is saving money and calories!

11. We are taking necessary supplements to enhance our immune system, especially me. Right now this includes fish oil, vit C/biofizz, vitamin D3 and iron. Hopefully, over time I will be able to get these nutrients through my diet, but for now I am supplementing. In the past, I have had good intentions, but have not followed through. I am not missing a dose right now.

12. We are taking items to family gatherings when we know there will be little healthy there. Tomorrow, we have a family birthday and I am taking the veggie tray. It doesn't mean we won't eat some of the other stuff, but we will have options and, hopefully, choose some healthy options.

13. We are taking healthy snacks to basketball games instead of getting the snacks at the concession stand. We take apples, pears or pistachios usually. That is huge for us.

14. We are just more health conscience. We are looking for ways to be healthy each day.

15. We are trying to undo "bad" habits on a regular basis.

16. My kids are choosing to go do things that incorporate exercise and fun together like climb Pinnacle. They have gone twice this week and I couldn't go either time!

17. We are buying and eating much more fruit. My husband never ate fruit and now he is taking a banana out the door with him every morning on his way to workout at 5:30am. That is huge!

These are a few things we are doing better. Wiser choices we have been making. New habits we are forming. There are many more that we want to make, but they will come slowly. We will implement them one at a time and try them for weeks at a time to try to make them habits.

I am looking forward to 2011. What will it hold me us? I pray that my health is greatly improved so that I can minister more for the Lord and take great care of my family. I pray we enjoy the process of it as well. If we don't enjoy it, we won't stick with it.

Lord, help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment